Unique CO2 balance
St1 is making the most sustainable bioethanol for transportation use in the world. The bioethanol is made from waste and industrial side streams with the Etanolix® method. Etanolix® has a unique CO2 -balance due to:
- Using waste as feedstock
- Using renewable energy in production
- Applying new energy efficient process and technology
- Reduced transportation needs
What is ethanol?
Ethanol, also known as ethyl alcohol is a flammable and colorless chemical compound. In common language it is also known simply as alcohol. Its molecular formula is variously represented as C2H5OH or EtOH.
How ethanol is used?
Ethanol can be used as blends with normal gasoline. Typical mixture rates are as following:
* E5 – contains 5% ethanol, 95% gasoline
* E10 – contains 10% ethanol, 90% gasoline
* E85 – contains 85% ethanol, 15% gasoline (sold e.g. in Sweden and Germany)
* RE85 - St1's new ethanol biofuel from waste ethanol
E5 and E10 are compatible with most of modern cars and should not cause any issues when used. E85 requires so called flexifuel cars to be used.
Using ethanol as fuel is beneficial because it decreases the fuel's cost, increases the fuel's octane rating, and decreases gasoline's harmful emissions.
Ethanol is a renewable fuel
St1's Etanolix® method is using various types of biodegradable waste and it is cutting the CO2 emissions dramatically.